26 Aug #TeamHuman Since WAYYY Before You Were Born
This past weekend I decided to visit my brother in D.C. While there, I wanted to visit the Smithsonian museum of Natural History. It was SO BEAUTIFUL! Once you walk through the doors there is a life-size elephant that is breathtaking. After venturing through each exhibit, I fell in love with this museum. There was so much history I wasn’t aware of!
While exploring the museum, we discovered the Hall of Human Origins (this exhibit was located behind the mammals exhibit). I thought this exhibit would be boring, but boy was I wrong! Learning about our species was very interesting and quite informative to be honest.
I learned that roughly 200,000 years ago there was a species that was close to ours called Homo Heidelbergensis; but for simplicity’s sake we’re going to call this species Ralph. Ralph was part of a social group who brought food to each other and helped one-another create shelters. Because of being in this social group with other species like him, Ralph was able to survive several ice ages in Europe and other continents as well.
Ralph shows us that people need people to survive. He is a prime example of #TeamHuman. No one can do everything on their own. If we stick together as a community like Ralph did, we too can survive what the world might bring to us. Maybe if we go out more and volunteer at shelters, day cares, or any type of volunteering, we can support #TeamHuman together. Why not go out and help someone in need?
Some examples of #TeamHuman:
- Hold the door open for that stranger behind you
- Tell someone how wonderful they are
- Smile at a stranger! – make it a goal to say hi to 10 strangers a day
- Flush a toilet when someone forgot
- Give a hug to your neighbor and ask them if you can help them with anything
- Take some non-perishable items to a shelter in need
- Pick up something someone else dropped
- Ask someone who is sitting alone if you can join them – MAKE A NEW FRIEND!
- Give compliments randomly
These actions don’t have to be huge! Just try to brighten someone’s day a little more. We are all human. Everyone has bad and good days. Why not be like Ralph and stick together to survive what the world will bring to us?
Until next time, have a wonderful day!